Sunday, September 28, 2014

Nate's Blog Post - Blind to Difference

The thing I'm most affected by is my religion.

Because I'm black, people just assume that I'm Christian. In reality, I'm a Jew by name, and everyone is so shocked by this fact, that a black man is a Jew. I know it's "rare," but it only goes to show how America is still blind to difference. When people assume that someone is a certain religion, especially for me, it's almost like a tag or more of a label that is immovable, and it's really hard for people to see past that and see the real me.

So a lot of times, I'm asked about which church I pray at. To me, it just makes that label more visible to me. It just makes me want to tear it out even more, but the light that comes from tearing it is a very harsh light of hate, ridicule, confusion and denial, so I have to patch it back up with the harsh ignorance of the American people. From that patch, it only promotes more ignorance on me and my generation about the "Black Christian society."


Nate Robinson
August 2014

No comments: